200th anniversary of the opening of the floating harbour.

The Floating Harbour, made up of Avon New Cut and Feeder Canal, was opened on 1 May 1809, and was created by civil engineer William Jessop. It contains 80 acres of impounded, non-tidal water At the time it was opened, it was the largest artificially-impounded area of water in the world. More than 1,000 men worked on the project The Harbour, estimated to cost £212,470 in 1802, actually cost £594,000 – the equivalent of about £34m today.
John Penny did special trips using the Bristol Ferry Boat Company as part of the ‘Harbour 200’ celebrations.
Pictures of the trip down the “new Cut” as part of Harbour 200 celebrations