Plimsoll commemoration

The statue of a Bristol-born campaigner for safety at sea has been returned to Hotwells after spending five years in storage. Samuel Plimsoll invented the Plimsoll line, a mark which appears on every seafaring ship in the world. He was born in at 9 Colston Parade, St Mary Redcliffe, in 1824 and was later commemorated with a bust. It was placed on Hotwell Road in the 1960s, beyond the Cumberland Lock having languished in the City Museum and Art Gallery since the 1940s. Wessex Water moved the statue to carry out work in 2005, and it was then placed in storage. The bust was unveiled at Capricorn Quay- its new home, opposite the ss Great Britain, with a plaque celebrating Plimsoll’s achievements. The Lord Mayor, Barbara Janke, Mark Horton and Pauline Barnes of the Hotwells and Cliftonwood Association who spearheaded the campaign to return it all helped to unveil it.