A contributor to the November 2004 issue of ‘information’, the newsletter of the British Brick Society, has found that the Bristol Fireclay Company supplied the terracotta blocks for the building of an Edwardian Chapel of Ease in Stow Bardolph, west Norfolk. They included some specially designed quoins for the door and window dressings.
The company had its head office at 6 and 7 Castle Street, Bristol, and a works exploiting coal measures shales in Crew’s Hole Road. The company went into liquidation in 1910 or 1911, a few years after the building of the chapel at Stow Bardolph.
Does anyone know when the company started operations? Are there other buildings known to have been supplied by the company? Are there any surviving catalogues or pattern books?
Replies to Maggie Shapland will be passed on to the enquirer, Prof John Allen at School of Human and Environmental Resources, The University of Reading P.O.BOX 227, Whiteknights, Reading RG6 6AB